When I began my journey with Weight Watchers over two years ago, I have to admit that I was a little overwhelmed. Coming from a family where we ate mainly for comfort, we didn't think twice about portion control, or so much about what should be fueling our bodies to be healthy. My goal was to begin to look at food as FUEL and not as comfort. I feel like whenever I had a problem in life or was stressed out from the day, my best friend would always be right at home, waiting for me in the pantry or the fridge. It had to stop. I started making changes, like making sure I was getting some form of fruit and vegetable in at every meal/snack. It became like a game, crossing off squares on my daily food journal for Good Health Guidelines. Some days, I'd challenge myself to get at least 2 servings of fresh fruit in during breakfast. It gave me a fantastic start to the day, and ultimately set the mood for staying on track. I've noticed that I'm always looking for ways to be more active throughout the day, getting better at reading the whole nutritional label, and trying new foods that were always kind of scary to me. I've learned that I like a lot of foods that I thought I didn't, such as asparagus, eggplant, papaya.
I've made it a personal goal to get outside and take a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood (along with my regular exercise daily). The fresh air really helps to clear my head and I love feeling like I'm part of something bigger. I look forward to those walks; I seem to do the best thinking when I'm out at away, just me and my iPod.
These little changes are definitely what has helped me get to where I am today.
This really hits home with me! Thanks for posting! It's so hard to squeeze in those fruits and veggies everyday especially when you're busy! I'm totally inspired to try the food journal challenge! Thanks!
ReplyDelete