Wow, it's been such a long time since I've blogged and updated you all.
Some big changes have been happening along the career and schooling front for me. Firstly, I've decided to change beauty schools and transfer to Sherman Kendall Academy (www.shermankendall.com). I've heard nothing but great things about the school/the teachers/the real-life job experience from my hairstylist and all of her co-workers. I recently spoke with Corey, the Director of Admissions there and am meeting with him tomorrow afternoon to meet and greet the instructors and take a tour of the campus. I can't wait!
At SLCC, I just wasn't feeling NEARLY prepared enough to be out in the real world doing hair and managing my time efficiently. We barely had any clients coming in, so it got to the point of just sitting around and working on manniquins. I went to school keeping my fingers crossed that I might get a client that day. How was that going to prepare me?
I'm halfway through my hours in the program and had close to no confidence whatsoever in doing hair. I seriously felt as though I was getting discount education. It got to the point where I dreaded just going to school, knowing I wouldn't learn anything new from the previous day. I started hating to go. I began wondering whether or not hair was something I really wanted to do- something I've DREAMED about doing since I was really little. And that's where I had my reality check. It wasn't the career- it was the SCHOOL.
I can now honestly tell you I haven't been this excited to go back to school since I first started at SLCC. I will be going part-time (the reason to follow!) and we don't run in semesters, but months. I will be graduating this coming September, prepared and ready to work ON MY OWN, confident and able. It's finally time to stop messing around and get MOVING!
Okay, so that's that. Time for my second big news- I'm going to be certifying as a group fitness instructor on September 26th! I registered with AFAA online yesterday, and my books and manuals to study are on their way, and should arrive within the next 10 days... Not much time to study; I'll be cramming it in! I'm so THRILLED to have this opportunity. After losing 35 pounds since last January, fitness has become a HUGE part of my life and I'm feeling so amazing! I want to inspire others to get fit and feel the same way I do. I can't wait to be teaching my own fitness classes as an AFAA partner (probably at a Gold's Gym, 24 Fitness, or whoever will take me at first and work my way up) and be teaching Step class and perhaps Kickboxing. I feed off the energy of group exercise and it just pumps me up for the day. The second big plus of being a fitness teacher, is the flexible schedule. By only taking me away for 1-2 hours a day, I'll be able to be home with my kids later on (after doing hair, of course! :]). I need to get in touch with the hospital soon, because I need to have a current CPR certification card with me when I certify on the 26th.
Anyway, that's all for my exciting news!
Love you all!
Many xo's- A
No comments:
Post a Comment